Saturday 13 June 2015

From Maulden to Maastricht



Maastricht [Wikimedia]

Sunday 13th June 1915:  We heard in January that Monsieur Joseph Schwartz, a Belgian refugee who had been the guest at Maulden of the Great Barford subscribers to the Great Barford and Maulden Refugees’ Fund, had returned to Belgium to search for his wife and and seven children. The following letter has been received by Mr. W. P. Gordon, J.P.:
“To Mr. and Mrs. Gordon. You will please pardon me for not writing sooner, but since I left Maulden I have been overburdened with grief, for I have not yet recovered my wife and children, and this is a great unhappiness for me. I thank you for the great kindness you have shown me so many times, and I wish you every happiness, and also all those who were so kind to me in Bedfordshire. Kindly give my regards to M. and Mdm. Van Huffell, and Mdm. Rombaux.[1]  Again accept my most sincere thanks and good wishes. Joseph Schwartz, refugee, Maastricht.”
M. Van Huffell has also had a letter from his brother who was fighting with the Belgian Army and is now in hospital near Calais suffering from gas poisoning.

Source: Bedfordshire Standard, 11th June 1915


[1] The other refugees who had been accommodated at Maulden.

No comments:

Post a Comment