Sunday 28 June 2015

Ampthill Road Boys’ School


Ampthill Road Boys School Standard 2, c.1910 [Z50/9/109]

Monday 28th June 1915: The Ampthill Road Boys’ School has published an updated list of old boys who are serving in His Majesty’s Forces, in which the total number has risen to 407. Out of the 400 or so boys who attended the school in 1903 no less than 46 have joined up, making this the most notable year. Additions to the list include five brothers from the Fuller family, with Sergeant Walter Fuller, Sapper William Fuller and Driver Cyril Robert Fuller serving with the East Anglian Royal Engineers, Private Horace Fuller in the 5th Bedfords, and Trooper Ernest Fuller with the 4th Hussars. A sadder addition to the record is the death of Lance-Sergeant G. H. Swannell of 16, Holme Street, who has died of wounds received serving with the 5th Dragoon Guards.

The headmaster has received many letters from old boys, of which these extracts from one written by Gunner F. W. Tyrrell of the 133rd Battery of the Royal Field Artillery is an example. Writing from No. 1 Convalescent Camp at Le Havre he says: 
“I am in a Convalescent Camp here recovering my health after receiving 4 shrapnel wounds. I am glad to say I am better now – in fact within the next few days I expect to be sent up to the firing line again. It wasn’t my luck to get leave to England for a few days, so I must make the best of it and go again with a good heart and a smiling face. I have received the Beds Times … and it gives me great pleasure in looking through the columns of names of men who are now serving with the Army and Navy, and who were all educated at my old school, The Ampthill Road Boys’ School which I am proud of, and always shall be as long as I live; but it is you, Sir, who have been the Headmaster for years past, who deserve praise for all this. It shows us what fine men have been turned out from the old school, and a lot with good positions, too, which is due entirely to the fact that they were trained well as boys, and I am sure none of us will forget the happy days we spent at the school.”
Source: Bedfordshire Times 2nd July 1915

No comments:

Post a Comment