Monday 16 February 2015

Tipperary Cake

Eaton Bray girls with May garland, 1913 [Z467/43]

Tuesday 16th February 1915: The girls of Eaton Bray school have been busy making cakes for the fifty Eaton Bray men now serving in the forces. A large “Tipperary” cake – red, white and blue, iced and decorated – red-cross biscuits, and seed and coconut buns have been sent off to the Front. The girls have also sent hard boiled eggs with messages written on the shells, and letters for the soldiers. Eleven year old Norah Pipkin wrote:

“My dear Tommy, I have heard you came to the Eaton Bray school before you went to the war. I hope if you get near the Kaiser you will cut off his moustache. If you are spared to come back to Eaton Bray after the war is over I hope you will come to the old school and tell us of the hardships you have had to put up with. We have made some cakes to send you, and I hope you will enjoy them and give some of the cakes to your Eaton Bray comrades. I think if the Kaiser caught you he would not give you cakes, but he will give you ‘beans’. God bless you. I remain, your little friend, Norah Pipkin.”

Mr Paddock, the headmaster of the school has received a letter of thanks from  Lance-Corporal William Holland, an old boy of the school now serving with C Company of the 1st Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment:

“Dear Sir,  Please accept my own and my chums’ heartiest thanks for sending the nice parcel. Tell the cookery girls it was eagerly looked for after I received your letter. I was very pleased to read the letters from the children, and I shall look forward to the time when I can pay you a visit and tell you my experiences. I was quite surprised to find that young people could cook so well. The hard-boiled eggs were a special treat, being the first I have had out here. We are having cold weather now, but we have got warm clothing. If you could see me rigged up you would not recognise me, having so many clothes on. We are quite happy here, but we shall be happier when the war is over. The chief necessity out here is scarcity of socks. I will now close, thanking you and Mrs Paddock. Yours sincerely,  W. Holland.”

Sources: Luton News, 4th February 1915; Leighton Buzzard Observer and Linslade Gazette, 16th February 1915

No comments:

Post a Comment