Leighton Buzzard Workhouse c.1915
Sunday 29th August 1915: Since the previous Red Cross Hospital at the Corn Exchange in Leighton Buzzard closed last December the town has not had accommodation for troops requiring treatment due to illness or accident. A new Red Cross Hospital has now been set up in the Board Room of the Workhouse in Grovebury Road and is already providing treatment for soldiers at the Artillery Training School. Like its predecessor it is under the direction of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment, with Miss Blewitt as Commandant. The Board Room is light and airy and perfectly suited as a hospital ward. Any gifts of fruit, flowers, vegetables, rabbits, jam and so on would be gratefully received, at would the loan of bed rests and bed tables.
Source: Leighton Buzzard Observer 31 August 1915