Sunday 23 November 2014

News from the Front

Royal Army Medical Corps badge [Wikimedia]

Monday 23rd November 1914 (Luton): News continues to filter home from the Front. Arthur William Ireland of Luton, a former employee of the Midland Railway Company and a Royal Army Medical Corps reservist now serving with the 10th Field Ambulance, writes:

“We have had some very exciting times out here. As I sit writing these few lines we had a piece of a German shell come into the room and struck the wall, and hit one of our Luton chaps on the chest; but it did not hurt him, as the force was stopped by the wall. You should just have seen the chaps scamper. It has been awful since we have been out here. We have seen some awful sights. We were in the two hospitals at Bucy le Long when they were shelled. We had three of our chaps injured there.

It was simply awful to see the shells flying around these two hospitals, and the wounded being brought in, some with their arms off, and some with their legs off. There were six artillerymen whiling away their spare time by playing cards, when a shell burst by them and killed the whole six of them … I think it was the worst experience I have had since I have been there. I should like to get home to see one football match before the season’s over, but I don’t expect I shall. I think this job will last longer than people anticipated.”

Source: Luton News 26th November 1914

No comments:

Post a Comment