Saturday 7 January 2017

Vicar of Linslade to Take Up Munitions Work



Saint Barnabas Church, Linslade [Z1432/1]

Sunday 7th January 1917: The Vicar of Linslade, Reverend W. S. Mahony, has published the following message in this month’s parish magazine:

“For a long time I have been wondering (like a great many other people) how I could do a bit more to help to win the war. The work in this parish is peculiar: while on Sundays there is more than enough work for two priests, on week-days we have a certain amount of leisure, though not nearly as much as a great many people imagine. With the consent of the Bishop of Buckingham, and with the agreement of the Churchwardens and certain others whom I have consulted, I have resolved to try to work a few days weekly at munitions, commencing on January 8th. Mr. Liddiard has most readily undertaken the extra work which will devolve on him, and I hope that the working of the parish will not suffer, although for part of every week I shall not be able to go about among you. The demand for labour seems so great that there seems little danger of my ‘doing anybody out of a job,’ while any wages I may be able to earn I propose to send to the Red Cross Society, whose receipts I hope to fix in the Church porch as a guarantee.”


Source: Leighton Buzzard Observer, 9th  January 1917

No comments:

Post a Comment