Monday 22 December 2014

"I Am Nearly Heartbroken"

Bedford Road, Wootton c.1910 [Z1306/136/1/2]

Tuesday 22nd December 1914: Mrs L Goff [1]  has received a letter from Lance-Sergeant William Goff [2], son of Mr George Goff of Keeley Lane, Wootton, telling her the tragic news of the death of his brother Lance-Corporal Joseph Goff of the Rifle Brigade:
“Joe was killed in action on December 17th in the small hours of the morning by machine gun fire, getting 3 shots in the head and 2 in the neck. His death must have been instantaneous. When I was informed about it I could not believe it, so I went and saw his Commanding Officer, who gave me the details. I then went and saw his body. I tried to take his things away from him, letters, etc., but I found that I could not do it so I had to get another man to do it for me. If God spares me to go out of these trenches alive I will send his things home if it costs me my pay for a year. If God spares me to come out of this war safely, and I can get back home again, I will try and bring the old folk out to this place to see his grave. I did my best for him, but it was nothing. I saw him put in his grave, and then I had to go back to my duty in the trenches. He did his duty as a soldier and a man, for he was shot while looking through a loop hole. I have got the sympathy of all his comrades, but it is very hard for me to write this letter. I informed the old people by a P.C., which I found on his body, but you might go over for my sake and help to cheer them up a bit, for I am nearly heart-broken to have to tell you.”
His mother [3] has received the following letter written by Second Lieutenant C. Hunt of the Rifle Brigade:
“When censoring the correspondence of this Battalion I noticed this card informing you of the death of your son, Rifleman Goff. Since this card was written I deeply regret to have to inform you that your other son, Sergeant Goff, was killed while advancing against the German trenches. His loss has been deeply felt by his brother Sergeants. This took place about 7 p.m., December 18th.” [4]
Source: Ampthill News 26th December 1914


[1] This appears to be William Goff’s half-sister Mrs Lydia Goff (nee Pulley).
[2] His service papers show that William George Goff joined the Rifle Brigade in October 1907 and before the war had served in Egypt and India. In 1911 he had was severely reprimanded as a corporal for neglecting his duty in allowing his men to drink water from a native well.
[3] Emma Goff (nee Pulley) of Keeley Lane, Wootton.
[4] Joseph Zachariah Goff had joined the Rifle Brigade shortly before his 19th birthday in February 1907. 

1 comment:

  1. I visited the brothers' graves as part of our Pilgrimage, in July 2012. Only now just researching and writing up our notes. What a tragic story!

    ReplyDelete