Friday 23 February 2018

Thanks for Leighton Buzzard War Hospital Depot



Workhouse at Grovebury Road, Leighton Buzzard in use as a hospital c.1915 [Z1432/3/12/2]

Saturday 23rd February 1918: Mrs. Cowper, the Secretary of the War Hospital Depot at Leighton Buzzard, has received the following letter of thanks from the Edmonton Military Hospital:
“I am most anxious that the lady workers in your depot should know how much their assistance is valued. The numerous gifts which you have sent us, including various kinds of splints, personal garments, and surgical supplies, have all been urgently needed, and it has been very gratifying to me to know that my appeal to you met with such a ready response. If the ladies who make these things could occasionally visit a hospital where the numerous demands are made for them, they would realise how much their efforts were appreciated. When attending a depot week after week, I feel sure they must sometimes wonder what becomes of all the garments they make; but I can assure you that without their voluntary help we should not have been able to carry one as easily as we do at present, and I thank them most gratefully for making it possible for me to supply the wants which are daily made at the gift store.”
Source: Leighton Buzzard Observer, 19th February 1918

No comments:

Post a Comment