Saturday 21 February 2015

Letter From a Wounded Soldier

Wounded soldiers at Hinwick House 1915 (Mrs Orlebar to left of Red Cross nurse) [X464/91]

Sunday 21st February 1915: Hinwick House, the property of the Orlebar family at Podington, has been in use as a V.A.D. hospital since last November.[1] Mrs Faith Orlebar, the Commandant of the hospital, has kept in touch with a number of her former patients. Today she received a letter from Patrick Feeney of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment who is now recovering at Wrest Park[2]:
7934 2nd Warwick Regiment 
Wrest Park Hospital
16.2.15
Dear Mrs Orlebar 
Just a few lines, in answer to your postcard which I received this morning and pleased to hear all are keeping well. I am still in bed yet and I am going on alright. I am expecting the doctor to let me up today as I think I have had enough in bed. I must tell you that Grey is very poorly after his operation on Saturday. He has not got over it yet. They took a bone out below his eye so he has had a lot of pain with it but I hope it won’t be long till he get rid of it. I am pleased to hear Cheeseman’s leg is going on alright – hoping that Mr Beauchamp and Father and Mother are keeping alright.[3] Well I can say no more at present. Hoping to see you soon.

I remain yours etc P Feeney
Source: Transcript of letters to Faith Orlebar, 1914-15 [OR2343/19]

[1] The Rushden Research Group website gives further information about Hinwick House Hospital. http://www.rushdenheritage.co.uk/Villages/BDFvillages/hinwickVAD.html

[2] Lance-Corporal Patrick Feeney died on 12th November 1916 while serving with the 9th Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in Mesopotamia (modern Iraq).

[3] “Father and Mother” meaning Faith and her husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment