Tuesday 9 December 2014

Letter from a Grateful Soldier

Wounded soldiers at Hinwick House Auxiliary Hospital, 1915. Faith Orlebar is to the right of the Red Cross Nurse  [X464/91]

Wednesday 9th December 1914 (Podington): Hinwick House at Podington has been operating as a military hospital since 21st November.[1] Mrs Faith Orlebar, who is serving as commandant, has received a grateful letter from one of the hospital’s first patients:[2]

Rifleman Kennedy
1st Rifle Brigade
7.12.14

Dear Mrs Orlebar

Just a line to tell you that I arrived home quite safe – Mrs Olebar I am sorry I did not write before. I have had a lot to do since I have been home. Mrs Orlebar I write to thank you for having looked after me well at your Dear Old House and I must say If I had been a Lord’s son you could not have done more for me. I did enjoy myself very much. Mrs Orlebar, I hope you and Major Orlebar and Mr Beecham Orlebar and all your Dear Family are in good health, as it leaves me at present and please remember me to all. Mrs Orlebar my hand is about the same. I cannot use it yet but I hope to soon. I am pleased to say my wife is going on fine and my family. My wife ws pleased when she saw me, and when the wife had a proper look at me she said how well I looked and when I told her about all the nice food I had she said no wonder you look well. Mrs Orlebar, if Major Orlebar do have to go to the front I hope he will have a safe journey and a safe return and good health and good luck. So now I must close so goodby.

I am yours truly
Private Kennedy
1st Rifle Brigade

Source: X464/91


[1] For more on Hinwick House as  a military hospital see this website produced by the Rushden and District History Society Research Group http://www.rushdenheritage.co.uk/Villages/BDFvillages/hinwickVAD.html
[2] Faith Orlebar was the wife of Richard Rouse Boughton Orlebar, son of Richard Orlebar, the owner of Hinwick House.

No comments:

Post a Comment